The Brattleboro Country Club, located in southern Vermont, is a membership owned and operated Club. The loyalty of its members is based upon the continual challenge of the course and the general camaraderie of the membership. The Country Club is known for its ability to maintain a fiscally responsible organization, a professional atmosphere, and a well-maintained course without losing a congenial and comfortable clubhouse atmosphere.
In 1899, local residents formed the Wantastiquet Golf Club and established a six hole course near the present site. In December, 1913, Tom McNamara, a professional golfer from Boston, toured the site of the current course and plotted a lay out for a nine hole course. The property then was owned by the Brattleboro Retreat. The Retreat was approached to insure that favorable long term lease arrangements could be made. Because of the determination and enthusiasm of the founders, the process did not take long. On February 21, 1914, fourteen local business men incorporated the "Brattleboro Country Club," apparently changing the name from the "Wantastiquet Golf Club". Construction began in April of that year and the grand opening was held on July 1, 1914. Over 1,000 people visited the clubhouse and enjoyed the celebratory Japanese lawn party. In addition to the music and the golf, trap shooting (which has since been discontinued) was a highlight of the first day's activities.